This year, we thought we'd mix it up a bit and run the New York City Marathon. However, they get about 90,000 applications for 30,000 spots - so it's up to the lottery to get you in. This year, the bouncing balls were not in our favor - and neither Josh nor I got in. 2011, here we come...
Instead, I'll be running the Twin Cities Marathon for the fourth time in October, and the 5 to 6 months of training will be kicking off soon. Satisfying to be talking about 'my fourth marathon'.
Here's my tentative calendar for summer events:
- Long Branch Half Marathon - May 2nd (next weekend)
- Two Summer 'Sprint' Triathlons - June and August
- One Summer 'Full' Triathlon - July
- Twin Cities Marathon - October
- Twice weekly Boxing Class
- Once weekly Jump Rope Class
- And probably a few other 5k's and 10k's mixed in with the 4x weekly training runs
I typically drop about 15 to 20 pounds over the summer, but adding in the boxing and increased weight lifting this year might mean I'll put on more muscle - and drop less overall pounds. It would have been nice to get into the NYC Marathon...but if you're rejected 2 years in a row, you automatically get in the 3rd year.
The last item on my wish list for this summer is a nice Trek Road Bike to go along with the Mountain Bike I picked up last summer. My Mountain Bike is great for the trails and short triathlons, but won't cut it in more serious affairs.