Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Vincentown 2011 - Tri #3

My third triathlon of the season was this past Saturday. Even though these events require a 5am wake-up call, I'm always glad they have them on Saturday mornings vs. Sunday. Having them first thing Saturday morning means that by 10am the race is over, and you have the rest of the weekend to eat cheeseburgers; guilt free.

Perfect weather - about 81 at race time. Back to a Sprint distance for this race (400m swim, 15 mile bike, 3.1 mile run). Wasn't my best swim ever, but still finished in the top 1/3rd. Bike I pushed pretty hard, even though there somehow managed to be a head-wind no matter which direction we were going. Averaged about 21mph on the bike. Run was decent, averaged just over 9min/mile. Not Kenyan speed, but looking better for me.

One area I'm really rocking this season is the transitions. "T1" (between the swim and bike legs) I had the 29th fastest time out of 180 people. What that really means is that I'm fast at getting out of my wetsuit, and getting onto my bike (and it's associated helmet, shoes, glasses) pretty quickly.

I always like to learn something new about my technique at each event, and what did I learn this time? I'm not a fan of the Cherry/Lime flavor of GU Rocktane. Opt for Pineapple or Chocolate instead.

2 weeks from now is the New Jersey State Championships, and it'll be the longest triathlon of my career - the 'Olympic Distance' (1 mile swim, 25 mile bike, 6.2 mile run).






No comments: