Monday, October 27, 2008

Great Endings

I couldn't sleep tonight, so I stayed up doing some work and watching some movies ("Money never sleeps, pal"). Really, the movies were just playing in the background for some ambient noise. Though, with a good 6 hours to kill until I could start calling my customers, I needed some longer movies to fill the time. I picked Godfather III to start things off.

Now, a lot of people praise Godfather I and II (justifiably so), but like to sweep Godfather III under the rug...much in the way people are doing with the horrendous new addition to the Indiana Jones trilogy quadrupology.

In contrast to popular public opinion, I happen think Godfather III is actually quite good - and for me it does a really nice job of tying the whole story together. In particular, there's a scene right at the very end - showing scenes of Michael Corleone dancing with the great women in his life. For my money, this is one of the most touching and sadly poetic scenes from any movie. Every time I see it, I can't get over how masterful that scene is at symbolizing the entire arc of the whole series. 30 seconds of joyful dancing, which stands in such stark contrast to how everything turned out in Michael's life. The tragedy of Michael Corleone is summed up in the juxtaposition of the joy seen on his face in those fleeting moments, compared to the true sorrow he knew in his life...and losing everyone close to him.

I've got the clip here, but unless you've seen the movies - you won't feel the same emotions, because you won't understand the 9 hours of storytelling that have just preceded this scene in the movie. Anyway - spoiler alert, so don't continue if you don't want to see the very end...



If you're wondering, the music being played is the Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana. Do yourself a favor and grab it on iTunes.

And if you're looking for gift ideas for east coast mark this holiday season, The Godfather "Coppola Restoration" has just been released on Blu Ray.

Feel free to leave your comments with other great endings to movies.

No comments: