Saturday, October 4, 2008

Marathon, Part Deux

Tomorrow morning at 8am I'll be running my second marathon - the 2008 Twin Cities Marathon. All the training, long runs, and dieting are done. Now, it's just a matter of getting to the finish line in one piece.

I'm surprised at how many people I meet don't seem to have a clue about a marathon - so for those of you uninitiated, a marathon is 26.2 miles, and should take me around 5 hours+ to finish. Also, everyone asks me, "So what are you raising money for? Breast Cancer?" I'm not raising money for anything. People who do 2 mile fun-runs raise money for underprivileged cats and stuff like that. Those who run marathons do it as a personal challenge, pushing yourself past what you think is possible, and for achieving the pure sense of accomplishment.

Last year when I ran my first marathon, it was a freakishly warm day in October (86 degrees), which needless to say was sadistic for a first timer. This year, it should be much cooler - probably around 48 degrees at the start, and 60 by mid-day. Some risk of showers, but I guess we'll cross that puddle when we get to it.

Two of my friends, Josh and Brandon, are running as well. Assuming we all finish, there should be plenty of post-race debauchery in celebration. Specifically, I plan to indulge in all the things I've sacrificed over the past 4 months....french fries, beer, desserts, meth, etc.

Today I had a Chipotle Burrito to load up on carbs, and have been pounding bottles of water and Gatorade all day in an effort to stay hydrated. The day before the race is great - they suggest you just sit around all day and do little to nothing. I will oblige.

No comments: